I have to admit, when I first came across Wellness dog food, it wasn’t to write this Wellness dog food review. In fact it was the moment I adopted my dog (then a puppy) Bronx and was deciding what kind of puppy food I should put him on. While back then I wasn’t as familiar with various holistic pet foods, I knew the difference between crap food and good food. The moment I took him to my job (a small town pet supply store) I saw the bright yellow bag of Wellness Puppy formula and knew that was the food for him.
There were so many reasons I chose Wellness over many other brands of puppy food for my little pup, including the types of ingredients that were used as well as the price (which back then was affordable). So, just how healthy was Wellness dog food back then and how healthy is it now? Let’s jump right into my Wellness dog food review to find out!
For this review I will be focusing on the Wellness Complete Healthy Chicken and Oatmeal Formula
Website URL: www.wellnesspetfood.com
Flavors Available: Chicken, Oatmeal and Salmon Meal, Chicken and Oatmeal, Lamb and Barley, Whitefish and Sweet Potato, Deboned Chicken and Peas, Deboned Chicken and Barley, Deboned Chicken, Brown Rice and Peas, Deboned Chicken and Oatmeal, Whitefish, Salmon Meal and Peas, Turkey, Oatmeal and Salmon Meal, Deboned Turkey and Oatmeal, Turkey and Brown Rice
Formulas Available: Puppy, Toy Breed Adult, Toy Breed Healthy Weight, Toy Breed Senior, Small breed Adult, Small Breed Complete Health, Small Breed Healthy Weight, Small Breed Senior, Adult Complete Health, Senior Complete Health, Adult Healthy Weight, Large Breed Puppy, Large Breed Adult Complete Health
Sizes Available: 2 Pounds, 4 Pounds, 6 Pounds, 15 Pounds, 30 Pounds
Price: $8.99 to $56.98 (Amazon.com)
|Crude Protein||Not Less Than||22.00%|
|Crude Fat||Not Less Than||12.00%|
|Crude Fiber||Not More Than||4.00%|
|Moisture||Not More Than||11.00%|
|Calcium||Not Less Than||1.10%|
|Phosphorus||Not Less Than||0.80%|
|Vitamin E||Not Less Than||400 IU/kg|
|Omega 6 Fatty Acids*||Not Less Than||2.70%|
|Omega 3 Fatty Acids*||Not Less Than||0.40%|
|Glucosamine*||Not Less Than||250 mg/kg|
|Chondroitin Sulfate*||Not Less Than||200 mg/kg|
|Beta-Carotene*||Not Less Than||5 mg/kg|
|Taurine*||Not Less Than||0.09%|
|Total Lactic Acid Microorganisms (Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus in equal amounts)*||Not Less Than||20,000,000 CFU/lb|
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.
This food is made up of 26% protein, 27% fat and 47% carbohydrates
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Rye Flour, Tomato Pomace, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Whitefish, Tomatoes, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Ground Flaxseed, Ground Millet, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Spinach, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Zinc Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Zinc Sulfate, Niacin, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Beta-Carotene, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Chicory Root Extract, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Garlic Powder, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract.
This is a naturally preserved product.
1. The first ingredient in this food is Deboned Chicken. Deboned Chicken itself is a high quality protein source. However, keep in mind that chicken alone contains about 80% of water which is then evaporated during the cooking process, leaving the chicken at a fraction of its original weight.
2. The second ingredient in this food is Chicken Meal. Chicken meal is another high quality protein as it contains as much as 300% protein then chicken does alone.
3. The third ingredient is Oatmeal. Oatmeal itself is naturally rich in important B vitamins and packed full of fiber, leading to help promote a healthy digestive tract.
4. The fourth ingredient is Ground Barley. Ground Barley is a nutritious carbohydrate that also contains fiber. So, not only will it fuel your dog’s body with the energy he or she needs, but it will also help to promote a healthy digestive tract.
5. The fifth ingredient in this food is Ground Brown Rice. Ground brown rice is just a fancy term for rice flour. It is a known source of carbohydrates which will fuel your dog with the energy that he or she needs.
6. The sixth ingredient in this food is Rye Flour. Rye Flour is an excellent source of fiber and magnesium, which can help to promote a healthy digestive system as well as promote a healthy heart.
7. The seventh ingredient is Tomato Pomace. Tomato Pomace is an ingredient that is comprised of the skin, seeds and pulp of a tomato and contains antioxidants and fiber.
8. The eighth ingredient is Chicken Fat. Chicken fat is a naturally and highly beneficial fat source that contains Omega 3 fatty acids. This ingredient will help aid in a healthy skin and a shiny looking coat.
9. The ninth ingredient in this food is Whitefish. Whitefish is a high quality protein source that contains Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which can help lead to a shiny coat and healthy skin.
10. The tenth ingredient in this food is Tomatoes. While tomatoes themselves may seem as if they are poisonous for dogs, this is not true. The stem and leaves of the tomato are considered to be poisonous, but the tomato itself is safe to feed to your pet. Tomatoes contain antioxidants.
11. The eleventh ingredient is Natural Chicken Flavor. In this case Natural Chicken Flavor is just comprised of processed chicken and is just used to give this food some added flavor.
12. The twelfth ingredient in this food is Carrots. Carrots are highly beneficial to pets such as being packed full of Vitamin A, beta carotene, soluble fiber and are low in fat. This ingredient will help to promote a healthy digestive system, promote eye health and support healthy skin and a shiny coat.
13. The thirteenth ingredient is Ground Flaxseed. Ground flaxseed, while supported and argued against by many people is considered to be a source of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which can help to promote shiny coat and healthy looking skin.
14. The fourteenth ingredient in this food is Ground Millet. This is a highly nutritious grain that contains a lot of fiber and essential B vitamins that your dog needs to thrive.
Formulas and Flavors Available
The various formulas available for the Wellness line of dog food include:
- Toy Breed Adult
- Toy Breed Healthy Weight
- Toy Breed Senior
- Small Breed Adult
- Small Breed Complete Health
- Small Breed Healthy Weight
- Small Breed Senior
- Adult Complete Health
- Senior Complete Health
- Adult Healthy Weight
- Large Breed Puppy
- Large Breed Adult Complete Health
The flavors that are available for this food include:
- Chicken, Oatmeal and Salmon Meal
- Chicken and Oatmeal
- Lamb and Barley
- Whitefish and Sweet Potato
- Deboned Chicken and Peas
- Deboned Chicken and Barley
- Deboned Chicken
- Brown Rice and Peas
- Deboned Chicken and Oatmeal
- Whitefish, Salmon Meal and Peas
- Turkey, Oatmeal and Salmon Meal
- Deboned Turkey and Oatmeal
- Turkey and Brown Rice
Sizes and Price
Wellness Original dog food comes in a variety of different prices, all based upon what size bag you decide to purchase. Here are the prices for many of the different types of food available:
Toy Breed Chicken and Rice
Small Breed Healthy Weight
Small Breed Puppy
Small Breed Salmon and Peas
Sizes Available: 4 pounds and 11 pounds
Small Breed Senior
Small Breed Turkey and Oatmeal
Complete Health Chicken and Oatmeal
Complete Healthy Lamb and Barley
Complete Health Puppy
Complete Health Senior
Complete Health Whitefish and Sweet Potato
Complete Health Large Breed Adult
Complete Health Large Breed Puppy
Wellness Dog Food Review and Complaints
When it comes to several wellness dog food reviews and rating left by actual customers, most of the reviews that you will find are pretty much positive. Just take a look below at what some people are saying about this line of dog food.
This is a food I highly recommend. When I fed this food to my Boston Terrier a few years ago, she had been dealing with digestive issues. But years later she no longer has any digestive issues and her stools are nice and firm. Ever since the switch my dog has become the healthiest I have ever seen her. -Frank G.
Our very first dog, a lab mix lived to be almost 15 years old and I highly believe it was because of this food. We now own a 2 year old dog who is also being fed this food. Her weight is good and her coat is one of the shiniest coats you will ever see. We are definite fans of Wellness Complete Health dog food. -RKPrice
This is one of the best dog food brands on the market today. I have been buying this food for nearly 7 years. While it can be expensive sometimes, with the use of practically no harmful ingredients, this is a food I highly recommend. You just can’t go wrong with it. -TD
This food has helped my dog become incredibly healthy and even my vet swears my dog is doing great on it. This is a food that makes my dog look absolutely fantastic. I can’t say enough good things about it. -Mike
This food has made my dog an incredibly healthy puppy. My pup goes through this food every 2 1/2 months making it a cheaper alternative to most healthy brands on the market today. -Sierra
My Final Opinion
In my honest opinion Wellness dog food is an all-around healthy food, even perhaps one of the best that I have come across. From all of the high quality ingredients used, to Deboned chicken being listed as the number one ingredient, to actual customer reviews, there really isn’t that much I can say about this food that is negative. Of course, my only problem with this food may be its price as a few pet parents out there may not be able to spend this much on food for their dog.
But other than that, I highly recommend this dog food to others.
High Quality Dog Food and Highly Recommended
Have you fed your dog Wellness Dog Food? If so, do you agree or disagree with my review? Regardless, I would love to hear from you. Just drop me a detailed comment below.