For this Taste of the Wild dog food review we will look closely at Taste of the Wild dog food by looking at its ingredients, overall availability of the food, the price of this food as well as looking at actual pet owner reviews and complaints of this food.
When I first came across Taste of the Wild dog food I was working at yet another doggy day care in Castle Rock, Colorado and was able to get this food on one hell of a discount. While I paid a relatively cheap price for this food, I didn’t really look at the ingredients even while I began feeding it to my dogs.
My dogs did very well on this food and even liked it. However, it a little tough on my dog’s bellies and often times it left them running to the backyard with diarrhea.
So, the question remains, how healthy is Taste of the Wild dog food?
Let’s dive right into my honest Taste of the Wild dog food review to find out!
For this Taste of the Wild dog food review we will be looking at the Pacific Stream Canine Formula with Smoked Salmon.
Name: Taste of the Wild
Website URL: www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com
Flavors Available: Appalachian Valley with Venison and Garbanzo Beans, Pine Forest with Venison and Legumes, Southwest Canyon with Wild Boar, Sierra Mountain Roasted Lamb, Wetlands with Roasted Fowl, High Prairie with Roasted Bison and Roasted Venison and Pacific Stream with Smoked Salmon
Formulas Available: Puppy and All Life Stages
Sizes Available: 5 Pounds, 14 Pounds, 15 Pounds, 28 Pounds and 30 Pounds
|Crude Protein||25.0 % minimum|
|Crude Fat||15.0% minimum|
|Crude Fiber||3.0% maximum|
|Zinc||150 mg/kg minimum|
|Selenium||0.3 mg/kg minimum|
|Vitamin E||150 IU/kg minimum|
|Omega-6 Fatty Acids*||2.4% minimum|
|Omega-3 Fatty Acids*||0.3% minimum|
(Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium animalis, Lactobacillus reuteri)
|not less than 1,000,000 CFU/lb|
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.
Salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, peas, canola oil, garbanzo beans, salmon meal, smoked salmon, potato fiber, natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus reuteri fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
1. The first ingredient in this food is Salmon. Salmon is a high quality protein source used in this food. It is packed with Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. However, keep in mind that during the cooking process the protein content is reduced by at least half.
2. The second ingredient is Ocean Fish Meal. While this is yet another protein source used in this food and that contains at least 300% more protein than any other fish alone, the main problem with this ingredient comes from the fact that we are not told what type of ocean fish is used. It means it could be anything from mackerel to dolphin. For this reason alone this is an ingredient that is pretty questionable about its quality.
3. The third ingredient in this food is Sweet Potatoes. These potatoes contain a variety of beneficial vitamins and minerals such as beta carotene and fiber. This is an ingredient that is also low in fat, making it great for pets on a diet.
4. The fourth ingredient is Potatoes. While potatoes themselves can be considered to be quality source of carbohydrates, the fact that it is yet another potato source, it is considered nothing more than a filler.
5. The fifth ingredient in this food is Peas. Peas are another ingredient that can add a bit more protein to this food as well as help to promote a healthy digestive tract by adding more fiber to your pet’s diet.
6. The sixth ingredient is Canola Oil. Canola oil is a high quality fat source that is packed with Omega 3 fatty acids which can help promote a healthy skin and shiny coat.
7. The seventh ingredient in this food is Garbanzo Beans. While it is not common for Garbanzo beans to be used in many popular dog food brands today, it does contain important vitamins and minerals such as protein, potassium, magnesium, Vitamin A and important B Vitamins. This ingredient can help boost your dog’s immune system, enhance heart, nerve and kidney health, enhance eye health and prevent cell damage.
8. The eighth ingredient is Salmon Meal. Salmon meal is yet another high quality protein source that contains as much as 300% more protein than salmon does alone.
9. The ninth ingredient in this food is Smoked Salmon. Smoked salmon is another high quality source of protein. However, keep in mind that during the cooking process the amount of protein is reduced by at least half.
10. The tenth ingredient is Potato Fiber. Just as the name implies potato fiber is used as a source of fiber which can help promote a healthy digestive system.
11. The eleventh ingredient in this food is Natural Flavor. Natural flavor itself is comprised of primarily meat, fruit and vegetable sources. It is primarily used to enhance the flavor of the dog’s food so they are more inclined to eat it.
12. The twelfth ingredient is Salt. Now, this is one ingredient that has no use being in dog food. Salt itself, when eaten in excess can prove to be harmful to dogs and can cause harm to their heart in the long run.
Flavors and Formulas Available
Taste of the Wild dog food is available in a wide variety of different flavors, but is only available in only 2 formulas. The flavors that are available with this food include:
- Appalachian Valley with Venison and Garbanzo Beans
- Pine Forest with Venison and Legumes
- Southwest Canyon with Wild Boar
- Sierra Mountain Roasted Lamb
- Wetlands with Roasted Fowl
- High Prairie with Roasted Bison and Roasted Venison
- Pacific Stream with Smoked Salmon
The formulas that are available with this food include:
- All Life Stages
Sizes and Price Available
The sizes and price of this food come in a wide variety of different options, but the overall price varies depending on the flavor, formula and size that you decide to purchase. The various sizes and price that are available for Taste of the Wild dog food are listed below.
Sierra Mountain Roasted Lamb
Sizes Available: 5 pounds, 15 pounds, and 30 pounds
Taste of the Wild Dog Food Review and Complaints
As far as an actual Taste of the Wild dog food review and complaints from actual dog owners go, there are a few mixed reviews out there. Some pet owners had the same issue as I had with this food with my own dogs while other owners rave about it. Check out what dog owners say about this food below.
I give this food five stars. my dog absolutely loves it! -Robert G. Maheu
I love this food so much! I can’t say enough great things about it. This is a high quality dog food at a great price. My dog loves it just as much as I do. Her skin and coat is healthier than I have ever seen it before. -Danny
I give this dog food four stars. My dog really likes it and it doesn’t seem to have too many fillers in it. I can’t complain. -Patricia Cote
My dogs love this food and it gives them so much energy, I sometimes don’t know what to do with them. -Aimee Wachowicz
This is not a food meant for all dogs. The problem with this food is that it contains so many rich ingredients, it can upset some dogs tummies like it did to mine. Plus it can be on the expensive side so owners who have a tight budget should be wary of this food. -Amazon Customer
I have been feeding Taste of the Wild dog food to my dogs for 4 years and I couldn’t ask for a better dog food. it is a reasonably priced dog food and every dog who eats it will benefit from it I promise you. -Thomas J. Teeter.
My Final Opinion
After carefully looking at Taste of the Wild dog food for this Taste of the Wild dog food review and looking carefully at the ingredients of this food, actual dog owner reviews, and complaints, the overall availability of this food and its price, this is one type of food that I highly recommend.
While this food is incredibly rich with protein and other ingredients, keep in mind that some dogs may have an upset tummy because of it. Also, this food is slightly on the expensive side but in my opinion, it is worth the investment.
Have you fed your dog Taste of the Wild dog food? If so, do you agree with my Taste of the Wild dog food review or disagree with it? Regardless, I would love to hear from you. Just drop me a comment below.