My Honest Nature’s Variety Instinct review
Ever since I first learned about holistic dog food, this is one of the brands that stuck out to me the most. Even before speaking to one of the store reps of the company, I was intrigued by the many different flavors of the food and their motto of offering variety to all dogs. It wasn’t until I tried this exact brand with my own dogs that I grew to love it. So, what is it about Nature’s Variety Instinct that makes it one of the most popular brands on the market today? Let’s jump into my honest Nature’s Variety Instinct review to find out!
For this Nature’s Variety Instinct review, we will be looking at the Original Instinct Chicken Grain Free formula.
Name: Nature’s Variety Instinct
Website URL: www.instinctpetfood.com
Formulas Available: Instinct Original, Limited Ingredient, Ultimate Protein, Raw, Raw Boost and Raw Market
Flavors Available: Chicken, Beef, Duck, Rabbit, Salmon, Lamb, Turkey, Venison
Sizes Available: Varies based on formula
Crude Protein (min)
Crude Fat (min)
Crude Fiber (max)
Vitamin E (min)
*Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) (min)
*Omega 3 Fatty Acids (min)
*Omega 6 Fatty Acids (min)
Bacillus coagulans (min)
Chicken, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Peas, Chickpeas, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Salmon Meal, Chicken Eggs, Tapioca, Dried Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Menhaden Fish Meal, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin), Montmorillonite Clay, Carrots, Apples, Cranberries, Salt, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Potassium Chloride, Freeze Dried Chicken, Choline Chloride, Freeze Dried Chicken Liver, Pumpkinseeds, Freeze Dried Chicken Heart, Dried Bacillus coagulans Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract.
1. The first ingredient is Chicken. Chicken is a high quality lean protein source. You need to keep in mind that the chicken is reduced by at least half during the cooking process.
2. The second ingredient is Turkey Meal. Turkey meal is another lean protein source that contains up to 300% more protein than Turkey does alone.
3. The third ingredient is Chicken Meal. Chicken meal is a lean protein source that contains as much as 300% more protein than chicken does alone.
4. The fourth ingredient listed in this food are Peas. Peas themselves are a surprising source of protein as well as another sour of fiber, vitamin A and potassium. This is an ingredient that helps to promote optimal GI health.
5. The fifth ingredient are Chickpeas. Chickpeas are a source of protein used in many dog foods. However, this is a lower substitute for other quality protein sources, but is cheap to use which is why many dog food companies like to use it.
6. The sixth ingredient listed in this food is Chicken Fat. Chicken fat is a reasonable high-quality fat source used in most dog foods today. It is packed with Omega 6 fatty acids and helps to promote healthy skin and a shiny coat.
7. The seventh ingredient is Salmon Meal. Salmon meal is a lean and healthy quality protein source that contains as much as 300% more protein than salmon does alone. On top of that, salmon meal is loaded with Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, promoting healthy skin and a shiny coat.
8. The eighth ingredient are Chicken Eggs. Chicken eggs are an excellent source of not only protein, but riboflavin and selenium as well. This is a great ingredient most dog food companies use to boost the protein level within the food.
9. The ninth ingredient is Tapioca. Tapioca is an ingredient that is used as a source of carbohydrates but is regarded as a fillet due to the fact that it lacks any beneficial nutrients.
10. The tenth ingredient is Dried Tomato Pomace. Tomato Pomace itself is considered to be a controversial ingredient. It is made from the skin, pulp and seeds of a tomato after it has been crushed. As controversial as it is, many believe it to be a healthy source of natural antioxidants and soluble fiber.
11. The eleventh ingredient is Natural Flavor. Natural flavor is an ingredient that is comprised of a variety of different types of meat, fruit and vegetables. It is used primarily to enhance the flavor of the food, so dogs are more willing it eat it.
12. The twelfth ingredient is Menhaden Fish Meal. Menhaden fish meal is a high-quality protein source that is made up of at least 300% more protein than Menhaden fish does alone.
Flavors and Formulas Available
Nature’s Variety Instinct dog food comes in a variety of different flavors and formulas, as per the Nature’s Variety company motto. The flavors available for this dry dog food includes:
The formulas available with this particular type of food include:
- Instinct Original
- Limited Ingredient
- Ultimate Protein
- Raw Boost
- Raw Market
Sizes and Price
The sizes and price for this food varies based on a variety of different factors. Check out the prices below to get an idea of how much this food runs.
Nature’s Variety Instinct Chicken Formula
Nature’s Variety Instinct Beef Formula
Nature’s Variety Duck Formula
Nature’s Variety Instinct Rabbit Formula
Nature’s Variety Instinct Salmon Formula
Nature’s Variety Instinct Small Breed Chicken Formula
Nature’s Variety Instinct Review and Complaints
As far as reviews and complaints left by actual pet parents who have fed their own dogs Nature’s Variety Instinct dog food, their reviews have been pretty positive which is not surprising. Check out what some pet parents have actually been saying below.
Great food for my dog. My rotties absolutely love this food. The only problem I have noticed is that it gave my dogs diarrhea when I first switched them to this. However, supplementing a probiotic into the food helped to firm up his stool so I have no complaints. -Gracia Nichols, December 24th
Great food, but the kibble size was a bit troubling since it was so small, but my dog didn’t mind. Fits right within my budget and is grain free, making it even better. Love it! -SJ Weigel, December 21st
The only kibble I feed to my dogs. I have a very picky Schnauzer that refuses to eat any other type of dog food, but absolutely goes crazy for this food. This dog food is both nutritional and affordable. I will be a loyal customer for many years to come! -M. Pardo, March 6th
Thank you, Nature’s Variety! Both of my dogs suffer from horrible allergies. But with the help of this food, I am able to rotate throughout the different flavors, while avoiding the flavors my dogs are allergic to. This has been a real peace of mind in my home. 2 paws up from my dogs! – Karen Maloney, April 13th
My Final Opinion
After carefully looking at the ingredients of this food, affordability and what pet parents have to say about it in this Nature’s Variety Instinct review, this is a food I highly recommend, especially if your own dog is a very picky eater or is sensitive to certain dog food ingredients. With the different flavors available, you are able to rotate through the various flavors, avoiding those your dogs dislike and keep them interested during dinner time. Overall, this is an affordable dog food, even though it is grain free, giving it a plus in my book. Many pet parents are very happy with it, which give this brand even more credibility.
This is certainly one brand of dog food that I don’t doubt will not disappoint!
Full of Variety and Highly Recommended!
Have you fed your dog Nature’s Variety? If so, what has been your experience with this food? Let us know in the comments below!
Digital marketing specialist and Internet enthusiast. When Vanessa isn’t working on PetFoodio.com or other marketing ventures, she spends her time making homemade dog treats and reading up on the latest advances in the veterinarian field.