Just as with many of the dog food brands I have reviewed on this site, for this Merrick Grain-Free dog food review, I knew I was going to struggle with it simply because I never had the chance to try this food out on my own dogs. I was made aware of Merrick dog food in my younger days when I worked at a small pet supply store. There I was intrigued by the design of Merrick dog food bags. Bright and colorful, most pet parents were always intrigued by the design. But it wasn’t until I read the ingredients listed on the bag that I was surprised at how healthy this food could be for dogs.
So, how healthy is Merrick dog food for dogs? Let’s jump into my honest Merrick dog food review to find out!
In this Merrick dog food review, I will be focusing on the Grain-Free Real Chicken and Sweet Potato Recipe.
*Disclaimer: This website contains affiliate links and I may earn a commission from qualifying purchases as an Amazon Affiliate when you click on the links on this post at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclaimer here*
My Honest Merrick Grain-Free Dog Food Review
Name: Merrick Grain-Free
Website URL: www.merrickpetcare.com
Formulas Available: Grain-Free, Lil Plates, Healthy Weight, Backcountry, Small Bread, Limited Ingredient, Senior, Puppy
Flavors Available: Buffalo, Chicken, Duck, Lamb, Rabbit, Salmon, Texas Beef, Turkey and Venison
Sizes Available: 4 pounds, 12 pounds, 22 pounds, and 25 pounds
Crude protein (min.)
Crude fat (min.)
Crude fiber (max.)
Omega-6 fatty acid* (min.)
Omega-3 fatty acid* (min.)
Glucosamine Hydrochloride* (min.)
Chondroitin Sulfate* (min.)
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, Peas, Natural Flavor, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Salmon Meal (source of Omega 3 fatty acids), Flaxseed Oil, Apples, Blueberries, Organic Alfalfa, Salmon Oil, Salt, Minerals (Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate), Choline Chloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract.
1. The first ingredient listed in this food is Deboned Chicken. Deboned chicken is a high-quality protein source used in most grain-free commercial dog foods. During the cooking process, the chicken is reduced by at least half, cutting the protein level in half.
2. The second ingredient is Chicken Meal. Chicken meal is a high-quality protein source used and contains as much as 300% more protein than chicken does alone.
3. The third ingredient is Turkey Meal. Turkey meal is a lean source of protein and contains as much as 300% more protein than turkey does alone.
4. The fourth ingredient is Sweet Potatoes. Sweet potatoes are high in natural dietary fiber, are low in fat, contain Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, and manganese, making it a highly nutritious ingredient that helps to support digestive health.
5. The fifth ingredient is Potatoes. Potatoes in grain-free dog foods are a great source of carbohydrates and are an excellent source of fiber, supporting overall digestive health.
6. The sixth ingredient is Peas. Peas are a source of protein, though it is seen as lower quality than traditional meats. Peas are packed full of fiber, Vitamin A, and potassium, helping to support optimal GI health.
7. The seventh ingredient listed in this food is Natural Flavor. Natural flavor is primarily made up of a variety of meat, fruits, and veggies, this is an ingredient that is primarily used to enhance the flavor of the dog food.
8. The eighth ingredient is Chicken Fat. Chicken fat is a healthy and high-quality source of fat that is packed full of Omega 6 fatty acids, helping to support healthy skin and a shiny coat.
9. The ninth ingredient is Salmon Meal. Salmon meal contains up to 300% more protein than salmon does on its own. It is packed full of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, supporting healthy skin and a shiny coat.
10. The tenth ingredient is Flaxseed Oil. Flaxseed oil is used as a fat source that is loaded with fatty acids to promote a healthy coat and healthy skin.
Merrick Grain-Free Dog Food Flavors and Formulas Available
Merrick dog food comes in a variety of different flavors and formulas. The flavors available for this food include:
- Texas Beef
- Turkey and Venison
The formulas available for this food include:
- Lil Plates
- Healthy Weight
- Small Bread
- Limited Ingredient
Merrick Grain-Free Dog Food Sizes and Price
As with most of the dog food brands that I review on this website, Merrick dog food ranges in price and size based on a variety of different factors. Take a look below to see the current prices of the various flavors of Merrick dog food.
This formula by Merrick is specially formulated to benefit puppies of all breeds and sizes. It is made with over 60% protein and enriched with Glucosamine and Chondroitin to help support active joints.
Sizes Available: 4 pounds, 10 pounds, and 22 pounds
Sizes Available: 4 pounds, 10 pounds, 22 pounds, and 30 pounds
This is the perfect formula for dogs who need to lose excess weight. With over 55% protein, this formula will help dogs feel full while fueling them with the energy they need to boost their metabolism.
Sizes Available: 4 pounds and 22 pounds
This formula by Merrick is specially formulated to help fuel senior dogs with the energy they need as they age. It is made with over 77% protein and is packed with natural ingredients that will keep aging dogs healthy.
Sizes Available: 4 pounds, 10 pounds, and 22 pounds
Merrick Grain Free Dog Food Reviews and Complaints
The reviews left by pet parents who feed their own dogs Merrick Grain Free dog food has been fairly positive. Take a look below to see that pet parents have been saying about this food.
This food is absolutely awesome! My Pitbull suffers from all sorts of allergies. After one week of being on this food, her allergies all but disappeared! She loves the flavor and I couldn’t be happier! -Larry Leonard, December 24th
I have 4 very healthy pups on this food! Honestly, Merrick is the next best nutritionally sound dog food on the market today. Because of this food, my dogs are healthier than they have ever been and are in the best condition ever. Am so happy I made the switch. – J. McGinley, December 21st
Merrick dog food is a top-notch brand. This is a brand that has been consistently rated among the best brands on the market. For years I have been a loyal customer and is great for my Silky who suffers from an overly sensitive stomach. -Susan, July 29th
I love this food more than I like Blue Buffalo and that is a great food. My toy poodle is a notorious picky eater but the moment I fed her this food, she devoured it in just a few seconds. Will never go back to Blue Buffalo again. -Vat, May 22nd
Merrick Grain-Free Dog Food: The Bottomline
After carefully looking at the ingredients of this food, reviews from pet parents, and its overall affordability, Merrick dog food is one brand of dog food I highly recommend. Judging from the grain-free formula alone, you can easily tell this brand of food is made with the highest quality ingredients in mind and with a dog’s health in consideration. While it can be a bit on the expensive side, if your dog suffers from allergies or other food sensitivities, they will benefit from this food.
Healthy and High Recommended!
Have you ever fed your dog Merrick grain-free dog food? If so, what do you think of it? Let me know in the comments section down below!