The moment I came across Flint River Ranch dog food, was not for this honest Flint River Ranch dog food review. In fact it was a couple of years ago when I was living in Castle Rock, Colorado and met a woman who was a huge fan of this food. She swore by it! When she first told me about it she made a bold claim, “I bet your dog Bronx will prefer this to Blue Buffalo.”
For those of you who don’t know my dog Bronx is one of the pickiest eaters on the planet. Even if you drizzle dog food in gravy and give him some cooked meat with it, most of the time he will not touch it. So upon hearing this challenge I decided to take it and wouldn’t you know it: Bronx scarfed down his whole bowl and still wanted more.
So, what makes Flint Rive Ranch so special? Let’s dive right into my honest Flint River Ranch dog food review to find out!
For this review I will be focusing on the Original Puppy and Adult Dog Kibble Formula.
Name: Flint River Ranch
Website URL: www.frrco.com
Formulas Available: Puppy, Adult, Senior Plus, Small Bites and Grain Free
Flavors Available: Duck Meal and Oatmeal, Salmon and Potato, Lamb Meal, Millet and Rice, Original and Trout and Potato
Price: $8.96 to $478.99 (frrco.com)
Protein: minimum 23%
Fat: minimum 12%
Fiber: maximum 4%
Moisture: not more than 10%
Chicken Meal, Ground Whole Brown Rice, Wheat Flour, Ground Whole Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Oat Flour, Tomato Pomace, White Fish Meal, Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, a-Tocopherol Acetate (Source of Vitamin E), Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Pridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate), Kelp Meal, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Product.
1. The first ingredient in this food is Chicken Meal. Chicken meal is a high quality protein product that contains as much chicken as 300%. It contains more protein than chicken does alone.
2. The second ingredient is Ground Whole Brown Rice. Ground Whole Brown Rice is considered to be a healthy source of both carbohydrates and fiber, giving your dog the energy he or she needs as well as support a healthy digestive tract.
3. The third ingredient is Wheat Flour. This is one of the few ingredients in this food that is considered to be slightly controversial. It is naturally an inexpensive grain used and hold only a little nutritional value for your pooch.
4. The fourth ingredient in this food is Whole Ground Rice. While this ingredient can be considered to be an okay source of carbohydrates and fiber, the fact that it shows up in this ingredient list twice only indicates that it is being used primarily as a filler.
5. The fifth ingredient is Chicken Fat. Chicken fat is a nutritious fat source for your pet and contains Omega 6 fatty acids. This ingredient will help to give your dog the shiny coat and healthy looking skin that you love to see.
6. The sixth ingredient is Oat Flour. All that oat flour is, is finely ground oats and is an excellent source of fiber for your dog, aiding in a healthy digestive tract.
7. The seventh ingredient in this food is Tomato Pomace. This is yet another controversial ingredient that is used. However, it contains antioxidants and fiber, meaning that it will help boost your dog’s immune system as well as help to maintain a healthy digestive tract.
8. The eighth ingredient is White Fish Meal. This is yet another excellent protein source for your dog and contains as much as 300% more protein than White Fish does alone.
9. The ninth ingredient is Natural Flavor. This is an ingredient that at first may sound harmless enough, but the truth is that we really aren’t sure where this “natural flavor” is coming from. Natural flavor tends to consist of meat, fruits and veggies that have been processed and is used to help boost the flavor of your dog’s food.
The final ingredient that I want to bring up in this food is Salt. Salt in general is only used in dog food to entice dogs to eat it and to enhance the flavor of the food. It holds no real nutritional value for your dog.
Flavors and Formulas Available
There are many different flavors and formulas available for Flint River Ranch. The flavors and formulas available with this food include:
The formulas available with this food are:
- Senior Plus
- Small Bites
- Grain Free
The flavors available with this food are:
- Duck Meal and Oatmeal
- Salmon and Potato
- Lamb Meal, Millet and Rice
- Trout and Potato
Sizes and Price
As far as sizes and price go for Flint River Ranch, there are various options to choose from and of course, the price will vary as you do. These are the sizes and listed price available straight from the company website itself:
- 10 Pounds-$33.49
- 20 Pounds-$54.49
- 40 Pounds-$99.49
- 200 Pounds-$478.99
Salmon and Potato
- 9 Pounds-$30.99
- 20 Pounds-$51.99
- 40 Pounds-$92.49
- 200 Pounds-$444.99
Lamb Meal, Millet and Rice
- 10 Pounds-$29.49
- 20 Pounds-$46.69
- 40 Pounds-$85.49
- 200 Pounds-$412.99
- 10 Pounds-$26.49
- 20 Pounds-$41.49
- 40 Pounds-$75.49
- 200 Pounds-$364.99
- 10 Pounds-$26.99
- 20 Pounds-$42.99
- 40 Pounds-$78.99
- 200 Pounds-$376.99
Trout and Potato
- 10 Pounds-$29.49
- 20 Pounds-$46.69
- 40 Pounds-$85.49
- 200 Pounds-$415.99
Flint River Ranch Dog Food Review and Ratings
As far as actual customer reviews go for Flint River Ranch dog food, many people are very pleased with it. Just take a look below at what some actual customers are saying about this food.
My Final Opinion
While at first I was under the impression that this food was one of the healthiest dog foods on the market, after taking a look at the ingredients for myself, I am not sure that is true. Of course this food does contain some highly beneficial ingredients, but it also contains ingredients like Salt which I find very questionable.
While there are many cases of dogs doing well on this food, there are even more cases of pet developing allergies because of this food. Regardless, I do recommend this food for those picky eaters that you may have as they will surely love it, but beware. The price for this food is among the highest I have seen yet.
Not The Best, But Recommended
Have you fed your dog’s Flint River Ranch dog food? If so, what do you think of the food? Let me know in the comments section below!