Chicken Soup For The Soul
For this Chicken Soup For The Soul Dog Food review, we will be looking in-depth at what kind of ingredients make up the Chicken Soup for the Soul dog food and learn how healthy this dog food really is for your dog.
When I first came across Chicken Soup for the Soul dog food it was when I was working at a local pet supply shop. I had seen many pet owners come in on a daily basis to buy endless bags of this food. Even the local police department purchased the food to feed their canine partners. It was after seeing how popular this food was for myself, I decided to do a little research of my own and what I found was pretty astonishing.
Without further ado, let’s jump right into my honest Chicken Soup for the Soul dog food review.
For this review, I will be focusing on the Chicken Soup for the Soul Adult Dog Formula.
*Disclaimer: This website contains affiliate links and I may earn a commission from qualifying purchases as an Amazon Affiliate when you click on the links on this post at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclaimer here*
My Honest Chicken Soup for the Soul Dog Food Review
Name: Chicken Soup For The Soul Dog Food
Website URL: www.chickensoup.com
Flavors Available: Beef and Legume Recipe, Lamb, Pea, and Green Lentil LID recipe, Chicken, Turkey, Pea, and Sweet Potato recipe and Salmon, Sweet Potato and Pea recipe
Formulas Available: Puppy, Adult, Large Breed Puppy, Large Breed Adult, Small Bites, Weight Care, and Mature
Sizes Available: 4 Pounds, 5 Pounds, 12 Pounds, 15 Pounds, 25 Pounds, and 30 Pounds
Advertised Price: Varies
Crude Protein 26.0% minimum
Crude Fat 14.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 4.0% maximum
Moisture 10.0% maximum
Zinc 180 mg/kg minimum
Selenium 0.3 mg/kg minimum
Vitamin E 150 IU/kg minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.5% minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.4% minimum
* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the
AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile.
3,579 kcal/kg (335 kcal/cup)
Calculated Metabolizable Energy
Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, peas, oatmeal, white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), tomato pomace, potatoes, natural flavor, ocean fish meal, flaxseed, duck, salmon, egg product, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dried chicory root, dried kelp, carrots, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, cranberries, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
1. The first ingredient in this food is Chicken. Chicken is a high-quality protein source. Keep in mind that during the cooking process the chicken is reduced by at least half so the amount of protein is diminished by at least half as well.
2. The second ingredient in this food is Turkey. Turkey is another high-quality protein source and it is much leaner in fat than chicken is. Just like the chicken used in this food keep in mind that during the cooking process it is reduced by at least half as well as its overall protein content.
3. The third ingredient in this food Chicken Meal. Chicken meal is yet another high-quality protein source and it contains as much as 300% more protein than chicken does alone.
4. The fourth ingredient is Turkey Meal. Turkey meal is yet another high-quality protein source and contains as much as 300% more protein than turkey does alone.
5. The fifth ingredient is Cracked Pearled Barley. Cracked Pearled Barley is a nutritious grain source that not only adds more protein to this food, but it also adds more carbohydrates and important vitamins and minerals that your dog needs to thrive.
6. The sixth ingredient is Whole Grain Brown Rice. This rice ingredient is considered to be one of the highest quality sources of rice used. It is also a high-quality source of carbohydrates and fiber, helping to fuel your dog with the energy he or she needs to thrive as well as to help maintain a healthy digestive system.
7. The seventh ingredient in this food is Peas. While peas may seem like a strange ingredient to add to any dog food, it is actually surprisingly nutritious. Not only is this ingredient packed full of even more protein for your dog, but it also helps to support a healthy digestive system as well.
8. The eighth ingredient in this food is Oatmeal. This ingredient is considered to be an excellent sour of carbohydrates and fiber, giving your dog the energy he or she needs to thrive as well as help to support optimum digestive health.
9. The ninth ingredient is White Rice. Since we already have a rice ingredient used in this food, this ingredient is going to be considered as a filler. Even though it is doing nothing more than filling up your dog at this point, white rice is a modest source of carbs.
10. The tenth ingredient in this food is Chicken Fat. Chicken Fat itself is considered to be a healthy fat source for your pet. It is loaded with Omega 6 fatty acids and helps to give your dog a shiny coat and healthy-looking skin.
11. The eleventh ingredient in this food is Tomato Pomace. This is a controversial ingredient that is used in this food and many other commercial brand pet foods. Regardless of what side of the controversy you consider this ingredient to be on, it is loaded with nutritional antioxidants and fiber. So this ingredient will help to boost a healthy and stronger immune system as well as help to promote a healthy digestive system.
12. The twelfth ingredient is Potatoes. While not considered to be one of the healthiest sources of potatoes used, this is a quality source of important B vitamins, Vitamin C, and even iron.
13. The thirteenth ingredient in this food is Natural Flavor. While we are not given specifics as to where this ingredient comes from, this ingredient is primarily made up of processed meat, fruits, and veggies, giving this food an enhanced flavor that dogs love.
14. The fourteenth ingredient in this food Ocean Fish Meal. While this ingredient may be a quality source of protein, the problem with it is that it is an unspecified food source, meaning that it can literally from any kind of fish that comes from the sea.
….there are various other ingredients listed in this food such as duck, salmon, carrots, apples, tomatoes, etc. However, I want to point out some questionable ingredients such as Salt. Salt is an ingredient that has absolutely no benefits for your pet and is only used in dog food to entice your dog to eat it.
Flavors and Formulas Available
There are various flavors and formulas available with the Chicken Soup for the Soul dog food line of food. The flavors that are available with this food include:
- Beef and Legume Recipe
- Lamb, Pea, and Green Lentil LID Recipe
- Chicken, Turkey, Pea, and Sweet Potato Recipe
- Salmon, Sweet Potato and Pea recipe
The formulas that are available with this food include:
- Large Breed Puppy
- Large Breed Adult
- Small Bites
- Weight Care
Chicken Soup for the Soul Dog Food Sizes and Price
As for sizes and price it will range depending on the formula, the size of the bag, and the flavor purchased. Regardless a list of prices and size are listed as follows:
Specially formulated for adult dogs, Chicken Soup for the Soul dog food adult is an affordable option holistic dog food option.
This specially formulated line of food is perfect for growing puppies. Made with all-natural ingredients and extra vitamins and minerals, this food will help your pup grow into a robust and healthy adult.
Sizes Available: 15 pounds and 30 pounds
Sizes Available: 5 pounds, 15 pounds, and 30 pounds
Sizes Available: 5 pounds, 15 pounds, and 30 pounds
This is a line of food that supports the wellness of large dogs, joint health, and happiness. Made with all-natural ingredients, this food will help support aching joints to keep large breed dogs moving.
Sizes Available: 15 pounds and 30 pounds
Sizes Available: 5 pounds and 15 pounds
Chicken Soup For The Soul Dog Food Review and Complaints
Unsurprisingly most of the actual chicken soup for the soul dog food review and complaints that are left by actual customers are all positive. Just take a look for yourself what some people are saying about this food below.
“Great stuff. This is the only kind of dog food I can give my dog without her developing a rash in the process.” -Gardiner Reynolds, February 14th
“This is great food at a fair price. I have spent a long time comparing healthy dogs foods. When I found this one, I knew I would be getting high quality food for an affordable price.” -C, January 24th
“My dogs love this food so far. I have a Goldendoodle and a Cockapoo. I recently switched them to this food and couldn’t be happier. Both my dogs seem more playful and full of energy now.” -Amazon Member, January 23rd
“Great holistic dog food! Not only are the ingredients amazing, but I have never seen my dog get this excited about eating in a long time.” -Tracy Moeck, January 28th
“At first I found some really bad reviews about this food, but after looking at the ingredients and trying this food out with my own dogs, I don’t understand why anybody would complain. This food is great!” -Caillouet, February 21st
“This is a great alternative to a lot of crappy foods out there. It is so much better than anything you are going to find at Walmart!” -Allyson G. Ward, March 1st
My Final Opinion
After carefully looking at this brand of dog food, carefully looking at its ingredients, and taking some things into consideration such as price, customer reviews, and availability, this is one brand of food that I would love to recommend to others. Not only is it packed full of high-quality ingredients, but it is also affordable and praised by many dog owners alike.
Have you fed your dog’s Chicken Soup for the Soul dog food? If so, what did you think of it? Let me know in the comments below!