In this California Natural Dog Food review, we will be looking at every aspect of California Natural Dog food, from the breakdown of the ingredient list, actual customer reviews, price and sizes available to see whether or not this is a quality dog food that should be recommended to others.
California Natural dog food is not a dog food that I am all too familiar with. Of course like any pet parent I have come across this food several times at various pet food outlets, but never once have I actually considered feeding this food to my dog.
So, without further ado let’s jump right into my honest California Natural Dog Food review.
For this review I will be focusing on the Chicken Meal and Rice Formula for adult dogs.
Name: California Natural
Website URL: www.californianaturalpet.com
Flavors Available: Chicken Meal and Rice, Lamb Meal and Rice and Herring and Sweet Potato
Formulas Available: Puppy, Small and Medium Breed Puppy, Adult, Large Bites, Small Bites and Weight Management
Sizes Available: 30 Pounds
Advertised Price: Varies
|Crude Protein||29.9 %|
|Crude Fat||12.4 %|
|Crude Fiber||1.0 %|
|Linoleic Acid||1.9 %|
|Arachidonic Acid||0.07 %|
|Vitamin A||9,910.0 IU/kg|
|Vitamin D||1,670.0 IU/kg|
|Vitamin E||387.0 IU/kg|
|Pantothenic Acid||21.3 mg/kg|
|Folic acid||1.13 mg/kg|
|Vitamin B12||0.626 mg/kg|
|Total n-3 Fatty Acids||0.81 %|
|Omega-6 FA||1.96 %|
|Linolenic Acid||0.78 %|
|EPA 20:5n3||0.02 %|
|DHA 22:6n3||0.01 %|
|EPA + DHA||0.03 %|
|Carbohydrate (NFE)||42.14 %|
Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Rice, Sunflower Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a Source of Vitamin E), Flaxseed, Natural Flavors, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin E Supplement, Betaine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Beta Carotene, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract
1. The first ingredient in this food is Chicken Meal. Chicken meal is considered to be a high quality protein source that contains at least 300% more protein than chicken itself alone.
2. The second ingredient is Brown Rice. Brown rice is a high quality carbohydrate that will give your dog the energy he or she needs to thrive.
3. The third ingredient in this food is Rice. Rice is considered to be an adequate source of carbohydrates and fiber, giving your dog the energy he or she needs to thrive as well as promote a healthy digestive tract. However, since this is the second rice ingredient used in this food it is considered to be more of a filler than an added nutritious ingredient.
4. The fourth ingredient is Sunflower Oil. While it is not common for this ingredient to be used in many pet foods today, it is one of the healthier fat sources that can be used. This ingredient is low in saturated fats and is packed with essential fatty acids that will help give your dog a shiny skin and coat in the process.
5. The fifth ingredient in this food is Flaxseed. This is a controversial item that is used. Regardless of what your opinion of this ingredient may be, it has proven to be a source of essential omega 3 fatty acids, but it is also a source of fiber.
6. The sixth ingredient is Natural Flavors. While natural flavors themselves can be considered controversial in itself due to the fact that you are not really told where the flavoring is coming from, these flavors tend to come from various meat, fruit and vegetables sources all in order to boost the flavor of the food.
7. The seventh ingredient is Salt. Now this is an ingredient that should not be listed in any brand of pet food. The only reason salt is used is to enhance the flavor of the food and to entice your pet to eat it. Salt itself is known to cause various heart issues and obesity in dogs.
Flavors and Formulas Available
There are various flavors and formulas available for the California Natural line of dog food. The flavors available for this food are:
- Chicken Meal and Rice
- Lamb Meal and Rice
- Herring and Sweet Potato
The various formulas available for this food are:
- Small and Medium Breed Puppy
- Large Bites
- Small Bites
- Weight Management
California Natural Dog Food Review and Complaints
As far as actual reviews and complaints left by clients for California Natural dog food, I have found many of them to be both negative and positive. Just take a look for yourself what some pet parents are saying about this food.
My dog refused to eat this food, something which she has never done in the 6 years I have owned her. If you have a picky dog, I would be wary of this food. -Karen Miller, January 23rd
I have a dog that cannot have any form of poultry or red meat. This is the food I have been feeding her for years and with great results. -Michell Rivenbank, February 18th
I adopted a terrier mix that suffers from sensitive skin and a sensitive stomach. It was hard to find a food that wouldn’t upset his belly and this is the food that finally gave him his life back. The moment I poured him a bowl, he began to eat enthusiastically. Ever since starting this food, his stomach hasn’t acted up once. It has been a God-send. -SJB, February 21st
I own two Great Danes that suffer from various health issues. Because of this, they need to be fed a special diet and this is one of the best high quality foods we have found to feed them. Because of this food, one of my Great Danes hasn’t had a seizure in 5 months. -Amazon Customer, October 8th
This food will really help your dog. I absolutely love this food for my English Bulldog and have no complaints about it. -Harley Q, January 29th
My Final Opinion
After carefully looking at the ingredients of this food, taking into account actual customer reviews and looking at the overall availability of this food, this is a food I have no problem recommending this food to other pet owners, especially with dogs that need to be on a limited diet.
Have you fed your dog California Natural dog food? If so, do you agree with this California Natural dog food review? Let me know in the comments section below.