For this Beneful dog food review, I will give you an inside look at this food to see what it is made up of and to see for yourself how healthy this dog food truly is for your dog.
So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump right into my honest Beneful dog food review.
For this baneful dog food review, I will be focusing on the Original formula.
Website URL: www.beneful.com
Formulas Available: Puppy, Adult, Small Bites and Healthy Weight
Flavors Available: Original, Healthy Growth, Healthy Weight, Incredibites, Original with Beef, Original with Chicken, Original with Salmon and Playful Life
Sizes Available: 3.5 Pounds, 15.5 Pounds and 31.1 Pounds
Price: Varies Based on Size and Formula
23.0% Crude Protein (min)
10.0% Crude Fat (min)
4.0% Crude Fiber (max)
14.0% Moisture (max)
1.5% Linoleic Acid (min)
1.0% Calcium (Ca) (min)
0.2 mg/kg Selenium (Se) (min)
10,000 IU/kg Vitamin A (min)
100 IU/kg Vitamin E (min)
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols, rice flour, beef, soy flour, meat and bone meal, propylene glycol, sugar, tricalcium phosphate, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, animal digest, sorbic acid (a preservative), mono and dicalcium phosphate, dried spinach, dried peas, dried carrots, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, Red 40, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, Yellow 6, Yellow 5, copper sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, Blue 2, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.
1. The first ingredient in this food is Ground Yellow Corn. While Ground Yellow Corn is not one of the healthiest ingredients in the world, especially if listed as the first ingredient in a pet food, it is an ok source of carbohydrates.
2. The second ingredient is Chicken By-Product Meal. If you are not sure what Chicken by-product is, know that it is simply the leftover bits of chicken after the white meat and breast of the chicken has been taken to be used for human consumption. Not of these bits are actually beneficial for your pet, but they do raise the protein level on the label. There is so many potential undesirable pieces in this by-product ingredient that it is just one of those ingredients that you should avoid at all time.
3. The third ingredient in this food is Corn Gluten Meal. Corn Gluten Meal is just the by-product of corn once it has been processed. This is yet another corn ingredient used in this food and is not only considered to be a filler at this point, but it also holds no nutritional value whatsoever.
4. The fourth ingredient in this food is Whole Wheat Flour. Surprisingly this is an ingredient that is listed in many commercial pet foods today. This particular ingredient is used to give your dog the fiber it needs to sustain a healthy digestive tract as well as give your dogs body the energy it needs to thrive.
5. The fifth ingredient is Animal Fat Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols. While fat itself is necessary for your pet, the fact that this ingredient is labeled as “animal fat” makes it questionable. First, we don’t know from which animal it comes from, meaning it could come from animals that are dead or diseased. Regardless, fat in general is packed full of Omega 6 fatty acids, aiding in your dog having a shiny coat and healthy looking skin.
6. The sixth ingredient in this food is Rice Flour. This ingredient is considered to be a cheap filler and has been known to be rather tough on dog’s intestines. It holds no nutritional value whatsoever.
7. The seventh ingredient is Beef. This may be the only relatively good ingredient in this food. Beef is an excellent source of protein, yet contains more fat than any other meat source used.
8. The eighth ingredient in this food is Soy Flour. Soy flour is a very cheap source of grain that is used in many low-quality pet foods. In his case, it is considered to be a filler and holds little to no nutritional value whatsoever.
9. The ninth ingredient in this food is Meat and Bone Meal. This is yet another low-quality protein source that is usually found in many low-quality foods on the market. The problem with this particular ingredient is that we are not told from what type of animal this ingredient comes from.
While we have already looked at most of the ingredients used in this food, I also want to point out that this food uses Sugar and as various dyes listed in the ingredients such as Red 40, Blue 2 and Yellow 6. Sugar itself in dog food can lead to obesity and heart issues while dyes are only used to make the food look more appealing to the owner than the actual pet.
Flavors and Formulas Available
There are various flavors and formulas available with the Beneful line of dog food. The flavors available for this food include:
- Healthy Growth
- Healthy Weight
- Original with Beef
- Original with Chicken
- Original with Salmon
- Playful Life
The formulas available with this brand of food include:
- Small Bites
- Healthy Weight
Beneful Dog Food Sizes and Price
There are various sizes and prices available for Beneful dog food. Of course the price themselves will ultimately depend on the size, formula and flavor of food that you purchase. The most common sizes and price are listed below.
Sizes Available: 15. 5 pounds and 31.1 pounds
Flavors Available: Chicken
Sizes Available: 6.3 pounds, 15.5 pounds and 31.1 pounds
Flavors Available: Chicken and Beef
Sizes Available: 15.5 pounds
This dog food is specially formulated for adult dogs of all ages. Made with omega acids for healthy skin and a shiny coat and real protein as the main ingredient, this food will help dogs of all breeds to thrive.
Flavors Available: Beef, Salmon, Chicken
Sizes Available: 15.5 pounds and 31.1 pounds
Flavors Available: Beef and Egg
Sizes Available: 31.1 pounds
Beneful Dog Food Review and Ratings
When it comes to actual baneful dog food reviews and rating left by actual customers, most of the reviews are negative. I think this is because so many pet owners are starting to take their pets nutrition seriously. Just take a look for yourself what some people are saying about Beneful dog food below.
If you love your dog, don’t feed them Beneful! Honestly, it would probably be better to feed your dog toxic waste then this dog food. I used to feed my dogs Beneful years ago, but they suffered from horrible consequences (skin beginning to scale, skin irritation and losing hair). Just do yourself a favor. Throw this food in the trash and don’t feed it to your dog. -Amazon Customer, January 20th
This is a dog food that is harmful to all. Make sure to read the ingredients before giving your babies something that will harm them. -Dillon Boehme, January 23rd
My dog passed away from her stomach lining rupturing in 2014. Apparently it was no coincidence. Beneful has a horrible reputation for destroying the liver and stomachs of dogs. A lot of my vet tech friends swear that this food is garbage. That is good enough for me to avoid it. -Kevin, January 26th
This food gives dogs diarrhea, enough said. -February 5th
My dog loves this food, but she is a lab so she will eat anything. However, after reading the ingredients that are in this food, I for one will never being buying this food again. -Sammy nic, February 8th
My Final Opinon
In all honesty, I think that Beneful dog food is crap. The proof is right there in the ingredient list. Most of the ingredients used consist of inexpensive corn, cheap fillers and potentially dangerous ingredients, I don’t see any dog really benefitting from this food.
If I were you I would stay away from this food and feed your dog something that is actually healthy!
ABSOLUTE CRAP! STAY AWAY!
Have you fed your dog Beneful dog food? If so, what do you think of the food? Let me know in the comments below!