If you have been looking for a Canidae dog food review, then you have come to the right place! Canidae dog food is another brand of dog food that claims to be a holistic alternative to many unhealthy foods out there. This dog food brand makes the same claims as many dog food do today: there food is NOT filled with harmful corn, wheat, filler and preservatives. But how true is this statement? Let delve right into my Candiae dry dog food review to find out.
For this review we will be focusing on the Canidae Chicken Meal and Rice Life Stages Formula.
Website URL: www.canidae.com
Flavors Available: Chicken Meal and Rice, Lamb Meal and Rice, Duck Meal and Lentils and Platinum
Formulas Available: Puppy, Adult, All Life Stages, Large Breed Puppy, Large Breed Adult and Platinum (Senior)
Sizes Available: 5 Pounds, 15 Pounds, 30 Pounds and 44 Pounds
Price: $8.13 to $49.49 (Amazon.com)
|Crude Protein (min.)||26.00%|
|Crude Fat (min.)||15.50%|
|Crude Fiber (max.)||4.00%|
|Linoleic Acid (Omega 6) (min.)||3.70%|
|Vitamin E (min.)||200.00||IU/kg|
|Alpha Linolenic Acid (Omega 3)** (min.)||0.50%|
|Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)** (min.)||50.00||mg/kg|
|Lactobacillus Acidophilus** (min.)||100 million||CFU/lb.|
|Cellulase** (a) (min.)||100||CMCU/kg|
|**Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.|
Chicken meal, brown rice, white rice, rice bran, cracked pearled barley, peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), millet, tomato pomace, natural flavor, flaxseed meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, suncured alfalfa meal, inulin (from chicory root), lecithin, sage extract, cranberries, beta-carotene, rosemary extract, sunflower oil, yucca schidigera extract, dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid), minerals (iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite), papaya, pineapple.
We preserve this food using mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E.
CANIDAE® Life Stages Chicken Meal & Rice Formula is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for All Life Stages.
1. The first ingredient in this food is Chicken Meal. Chicken meal is a high quality protein source and contains as much as 300% more protein than Chicken does alone.
2. The second ingredient in this food is Brown Rice. Brown rice is considered to be a high quality carbohydrate that will fuel your dog with the energy he or she needs to thrive.
3. The third ingredient is White Rice. Considering that we already have a rice source used as the second ingredient, the white rice used in this formula is just considered to be a filler. Regardless, white rice is considered to be an ok carbohydrate that will fuel your dog with a moderate amount of energy that he or she needs to thrive.
4. The fourth ingredient in this food is Rice Bran. Rice bran is another common filler in this food that happens to be used in other dog food brans as well. It is considered to be moderately nutritious and contains fiber, which can help aid in healthy digestion.
5. The fifth ingredient in this food is Cracked Pearled Barley. Cracked Pearled Barley is considered to be a high nutritious grain source that adds more protein, carbohydrates and important vitamins and minerals to your pet’s food.
6. The sixth ingredient is Peas. Peas are a surprisingly beneficial ingredient used in dog food today. This ingredient is packed full of additional protein that your dog will loves as well as fiber and Vitamin A. This is an ingredient that will help to support a healthy digestive system as well as help to maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
7. The seventh ingredient is Chicken Fat. Chicken Fat is a healthy source of fat for your dog and is packed full of Omega 6 fatty acids. This is an ingredient that will help to give your dog that shiny skin and coat that you love seeing.
8. The eighth ingredient in this food is Millet. While this is an ingredient that is considered to be a gluten free source of fiber for your dog as well as important B vitamins, it is still a little tough on dog’s tummies. So, in short it is still a nutritious ingredient, but can be a little hard for your pooch to digest.
9. The ninth ingredient in this food is Tomato Pomace. This may be one ingredient that you have never heard of. Tomato Pomace is an ingredient that is steeped in controversy among dog enthusiasts. Regardless of that controversy, Tomato Pomace is an ingredient that is made up of the skins, pulp and seeds of a tomato. It is known to contain both antioxidants and fiber, helping to boost your pet’s immune system as well as helping to maintain a healthy digestive system.
10. The tenth ingredient is Natural Flavor. The problem with this ingredient is that we don’t actually know from what source this “natural flavor” is coming from. Typically, this ingredient is comprised of process meat, fruits or veggies and is only used to boost the flavor or the food to entice your dog to eat it.
11. The eleventh ingredient in this food is Flaxseed Meal. Flaxseed meal is nothing but ground up flaxseed and it is packed full of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, giving your dog the healthy skin and coat that you love to see. Keep in mind however, that there are many dogs out there who will have upset tummies from this ingredient.
Flavors and Formulas Available
There are many different formulas that are available for purchase with the Canidae Life Stages line of dog food. The formulas that are currently available for this food are:
- All Life Stages
- Large Breed Puppy
- Large Breed Adult
- Platinum (Senior)
As for the flavors, the different flavors that are available for this food currently are:
- Chicken Meal and Rice
- Lamb Meal and Rice
- Duck Meal and Lentils
Sizes and Price
Canidae Life Stages dog food comes in a variety of sizes and prices, depending on what you are looking for. The sizes and price for this food are listed as follows:
- 5 Pounds: $12.59
- 15 Pounds: $32.99
- 30 Pounds: $40.49
Lamb Meal and Rice
- 5 Pounds: $11.99
- 15 Pounds: $36.68
- 30 Pounds: $44.99
Large Breed Puppy
- 15 Pounds: $29.87
- 30 Pounds: $49.49
Large Breed Adult
- 15 Pounds: $33.49
- 30 Pounds: $48.77
- 5 Pounds: $8.13
- 15 Pounds: $27.99
- 30 Pounds: $44.99
Canidae Dog Food Review and Ratings
In regards to Canidae dog food, there are most positive reviews regarding it. Just take a look at what some people are saying about this dog food below.
My Final Opinion
In my final opinion I think that Canidae dog food is a semi decent food. While it does contain a few good ingredients in it, its use of filler ingredients really puts me off to it. If your dog food is that nutritious, then what is the point of putting fillers in it in the first place?
While I do recommend this product, I will say it is certainly not the best food I have seen.
Decent, But Not The Best
Have you fed your dog Canidae dog food? If so, what did you think of it? Let me know in the comments below!