When I first came across Blue Buffalo Life Protection dog food, it was when I was working in a small town pet supply store and was first learning about holistic pet foods. The store decided to stock up on Blue Buffalo in 2009 and as such I had the opportunity to meet several representatives of Blue Buffalo and learned more about their food then any other customer would.
I have always been a fan of Blue Buffalo and is the brand of food I feed my dogs today so please excuse if this blue buffalo review is a bit on the biased side.
So, how healthy is Blue Buffalo for your pet? Let’s dive into my honest Blue Buffalo review to learn more.
For this Blue Buffalo Life Protection dog food review we will be focusing on the Adult Chicken and Brown Rice Life Protection Formula.
Website URL: www.bluebuffalo.com
Flavors Available: Chicken and Brown Rice, Fish and Sweet Potato, Lamb and Brown Rice, Fish and Brown Rice, Fish and Oatmeal
Formulas Available: Adult, Puppy, Large Breed Puppy, Large Breed Adult, Small Breed Puppy, Small Breed Adult, Healthy Weight, Toy Breed Adult, Large Breed Healthy Weight and Senior
Sizes Available: 4 Pounds, 5 Pounds, 6 Pounds 15 Pounds, 20 Pounds
Price: $17.42 to $54.89 (Amazon.com)
|Crude Protein||24.0% min|
|Crude Fat||14.0% min|
|Crude Fiber||5.0% max|
|Omega 3 Fatty Acids*||0.5% min|
|Omega 6 Fatty Acids*||3.0% min|
|Glucosamine*||400 mg/kg min|
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Tomato Pomace (source of Lycopene), Peas, Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Natural Flavor, Potatoes, Alfalfa Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Potato Starch, Dried Chicory Root, DL-Methionine, Caramel,Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Garlic, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Oil of Rosemary, L-Lysine, Parsley, Kelp, Blueberries, Cranberries, Apples, Spinach, Blackberries, Pomegranate, Pumpkin, Barley Grass, Turmeric, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Copper Sulfate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Taurine, Biotin (Vitamin B7), Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, L-Carnitine, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Beta Carotene, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product,Dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.
1. The first ingredient is Deboned Chicken. Deboned chicken is one a digestible protein that is packed with important minerals and nutrients that your dog’s body craves. Keep in mind that the chicken is reduced by half during the cooking process.
2. The second ingredient in this food is Chicken Meal. Chicken meal is another high quality protein source that contains as much as 300% more protein than chicken does alone.
3. The third ingredient in this food is Brown Rice. Unlike white rice, brown rice is a high quality carbohydrate that is packed full of important B vitamins and fiber. This is an ideal ingredient that well help give your dog the energy he or she needs as well as help to maintain optimal digestive health.
4. The fourth ingredient is Barley. Barley is another high quality carbohydrate and it is also a healthy source of B vitamins and fiber, meaning that it will help to promote healthy digestive health as well as fuel your dog’s body with the energy he or she needs.
5. The fifth ingredient in this food is Oatmeal. Oatmeal is another carbohydrate and it is high in essential B vitamins.
6. The sixth ingredient is Chicken Fat. Chicken fat is a healthy fat source that is rich in Omega 6 fatty acids. This is an ingredient that will help give your dog healthy skin and a healthy coat.
7. The seventh ingredient in this food is Tomato Pomace. Tomato Pomace is an ingredient that is comprised of skins, pulp and seeds from a tomato. It is packed full of fiber and rich in some antioxidants.
8. The eighth ingredient is Peas. Peas are a surprising ingredient that is being used in various brands of dog food today and it is no secret why it is being used. Peas in general (as long as they are fresh) are an excellent source of protein, as well as a high quality source of Vitamin A and potassium. This is an ingredient that help to promote optimal digestive health.
9. The ninth ingredient in this food is Flaxseed. This is a controversial ingredient that is used. Regardless, Flaxseed is a source of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, which can help your dog to achieve healthy skin and a shiny coat.
10. The tenth ingredient in this food is Natural Flavor. As discussed in other reviews, natural flavor itself can be different according to the ingredients used. However, in Blue Buffalo dog food products natural flavor is comprised of various fruits, veggies and spices that have been processed and have been used to give this food some additional flavor in the most natural way possible.
Formulas and Flavors Available
The formulas that are available in the Blue Buffalo Life Protection line of food consists of:
- Large Breed Puppy
- Large Breed Adult
- Small Breed Puppy
- Small Breed Adult
- Healthy Weight
- Toy Breed Adult
- Large Breed Healthy Weight
The flavors available in this brand of dog food consists of:
- Chicken and Brown Rice
- Fish and Sweet Potato
- Lamb and Brown Rice
- Fish and Brown Rice
- Fish and Oatmeal
Sizes and Price
- 6 Pounds: $17.42
- 15 Pounds: 30.99
- 30 Pounds: $46.99
- 6 Pounds: $19.49
- 15 Pounds: $27.99
- 30 Pounds: $49.99
- 6 Pounds: $18.99
- 15 Pounds: $33.95
- 30 Pounds: $44.57
Small Breed Fish and Brown Rice
- 6 Pounds: $28.99
- 15 Pounds: $35.99
Healthy Weight Chicken and Brown Rice
- 6 Pounds: $15.99
- 15 Pounds: $30.99
- 30 Pounds: $46.99
Large Breed Fish and Oatmeal
- 30 Pounds: $54.89
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Dog Food Review Complaints and Customer Reviews
As far as customer reviews go for Blue Buffalo Life Protection, there are mostly positive reviews left by actual customers. Just take a look for yourself what seem people are saying about the food below.
My Final Opinion
In my honest opinion, I love this food and there should be no question as to why. From the high quality ingredients used, to the first 5 ingredients of this food being highly nutritious to the decent price, this is a high quality and nutritious food that will only benefit your dog in the long run. If you decide to get this food for your dog, I know that you will not be disappointed.
Top Quality Food!
Have you fed your dog’s Blue Buffalo Life Protection? If so, what do you think of the food? Let me know in the comments section below!