Acana dog food is one of the most popular brands of dog food today. It is known for its high quality ingredients that is known to be highly beneficial for dogs. But the question remains: is this food as healthy as it claims?
Check out my honest Acana dog food review below to find out for yourself!
For this review we will be concentrating on the Acana Pacifica formula.
Website URL: www.acana.com
Flavors Available: Pacifica, High Prairie, Grasslands, Pork and Butternut Squash, Duck and Bartlett Pear and Ranchlands
Formulas Available: Puppy, Large Breed Puppy, Small Breed Puppy, Adult, Adult Small Breed, Adult Large Breed, Light and Fit, Sport and Agility and Senior
Sizes Available: 5 Pound, 15 Pounds, 28 Pounds and 30 Pounds
Price: $22.98 to $92.72
|Crude protein (min.)||33%|
|Crude fat (min.)||17%|
|Crude fiber (max.)||5%|
|Calcium (min.)||1.5 %|
|Calcium: Phosphorus Ratio||1.3:1|
|Omega 3 (min.)||2.0%|
|Omega 6:Omega 3 ratio||1.25:1|
|Glucosamine (min.)||700 mg/kg|
|Chondroitin sulfate (min.)||900 mg/kg|
Boneless salmon, salmon meal, herring meal, whitefish meal*, green peas, red lentils, boneless herring, boneless founder, herring oil, field beans, canola oil, sun-cured alfalfa, pea fibre, natural fish flavour, whole apples, whole pears, pumpkin, butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, spinach greens, cranberries, blueberries, kelp, chicory root, juniper berries, angelica root, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, lavender, rosemary * ACANA’s whitefish meal contains wild-caught cod, pollock, sole, flounder and halibut
1. The first ingredient is Boneless Salmon. Boneless Salmon is a high quality protein source. Keep in mind that the salmon itself is reduced by at least half during the cooking process so it will lose much its mass and protein value.
2. The second ingredient is Salmon Meal. Salmon meal is another high quality protein source and contains as much as 300% more protein than salmon does alone.
3. The third ingredient is Herring Meal. Herring meal is yet another high quality protein source and contains as much as 300% protein than herring itself does alone.
4. The fourth ingredient is Whitefish Meal. Whitefish meal is another high quality protein source and contains as much as 300% more protein than whitefish does alone.
5. The fifth ingredient is Green Peas. Green peas are a controversial ingredient being used in dog foods today. Regardless green peas are seen as a high quality source of B vitamins as well Potassium, Thiamin and phosphorus. Green peas are also another source of protein, giving this food some much more protein content.
6. The sixth ingredient is Red Lentils. Red Lentils themselves are used to appeal to many vegan and vegetarian dog owners. This ingredient is packed full of protein and is considered to be one of the most digestible legumes dogs can eat today. This ingredient gives this dog food more protein content as well.
7. The seventh ingredient in this food is Boneless Herring. Boneless Herring is a high quality protein source. Keep in mind that the herring itself is reduced by at least half during the cooking process so it will lose much its mass and protein value.
8. The eighth ingredient is Boneless Flounder. Boneless Flounder is a high quality protein source. Keep in mind that the flounder itself is reduced by at least half during the cooking process so it will lose much its mass and protein value.
9. The ninth ingredient is Herring Oil. This ingredient is considered to be a healthy fat source that is packed with Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. These acids help to give your dog healthy and shiny looking coat and skin.
10. The tenth ingredient is Field Beans. This ingredient is a rich source of fiber and can help to aid in a healthy digestive system for your dog.
Formulas and Flavors Available
The Acana line of dog food comes in a variety of different formulas and Flavors.
- Large Breed Puppy
- Small Breed Puppy
- Adult Small Breed
- Adult Large Breed
- Light and Fit
- Sport and Agility
The flavors that this food is available in includes:
- High Prairie
- Pork and Butternut Squash
- Duck and Bartlett Pear
Sizes and Price
The Acana line of dog food comes in a variety of sizes and prices, depending on the formulas and flavors available and are listed as follows:
Acana Wild Prairie
Acana Pork and Butternut Squash
- $23.17 for 4.4 Pounds
- $94.03 for 25 Pounds
Acana Duck and Bartlett Pear
Acana Dog Food Customer Reviews
There are mixed reviews left by customers of Acana dog food. Just take a look below at what some people are saying about this food.
In my honest opinion I believe that Acana is certainly a solid brand of dog food. It is packed with plenty of high quality protein sources, omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, carbohydrates and healthy fiber sources that will all be beneficial for your dog. However, its price may be too expensive for some pet owners out there which is a real downfall.
I would have no problem recommending this product to other pet owners and would have no problem feeding it to my own dogs.
Top Notch Dog Food, But It Is Expensive
Have you fed your dogs Acana? What do you think about the food? Let me know in the comments below!